Aged Care Assessment & Home Care Package

The following information about getting an Aged Care Assessment and applying for a Home Care Package is taken from the MyAgedCare website.

Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) Assessment

If your loved one needs some help at home or you are considering the option of having them moved into an aged care home, you may first need a free assessment by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT, or ACAS in Victoria).

A member of an ACAT will talk to you about your current situation and work out if your loved one is eligible to receive government-subsidised aged care services.

When do I need an ACAT assessment?

An ACAT assessment and approval will be required if your loved one has complex aged care needs and wants to:

A Home Support Assessment will be required for entry level aged care needs and to access services through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme, such as meals or transport.

A Home Support Assessment or an ACAT assessment is not required for aged care services that are not subsidised by the Australian Government. For example, services offered by volunteer groups and charitable organisations.


After the assessment, the ACAT will write to you to let you know the outcome of your assessment. The letter will specify the services you are approved to receive, as well as the reasons why.

You will also receive other information on your assessment.

Home Support Assessment

A Home Support Assessment may be organised if you have aged care needs that, when addressed, enable you to remain living at home and in the community safely.

If you think you need a Home Support Assessment, you can contact the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422.

The Assessment Process

A local assessor from the My Aged Care Regional Assessment Service will make contact with you to organise a time to come out and see you. They will ask you a few questions which ensures your – and their – safety when they visit.

They will ask if you will have, or might like to have, someone there when they visit (such as your partner or a family member) that may help during the assessment.

They may also ask your permission to talk to people who provide you with support, such as a family member or carer.